Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Line Pools for outgoing FAX on ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirkware

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2006
US
System: MICS with five POTS lines connected. Sixth POTS line is currently dedicated to fax machine. All phones have line appearances to each line connected to the system. Most are Appr only, with our customer service reps having Appr & Ring.

What I am wanting to do: We want to make use of the sixth line on our system, so I have acquired an ATA, and plan to have phone co. add sixth line into hunt group and put fax on ATA. Auto Attendant on Call Pilot 150 will answer all incoming calls and direct incoming faxes to ATA.

The problem: How to assure that the fax machine can dial out. If I set the ATA's prime line to any of the six lines, obviously the fax will not be able to call out when that line is in use.

Proposed solution: Put all six lines together in a Line Pool, and set the ATA's prime line to the pool.

Questions:
1. Am I headed in the right direction?

2. This will allow the fax machine to dial out using any available line in the pool, correct?

3. Can lines be in a line pool and also show up as line appearances on phones without causing problems?

4. Any other steps I am missing?

4. no

"There are those who would make you believe there are no choices left.That they have the last word and its final.To those who try the world is wide open choices many.To those who dont only death awaits you.

For testing, I setup a line appearance for Line 6 and 7 (032 and 033 on the MICS) on a T7316E, and put those two lines in Line Pool A. (Note, neither of those lines are actually connected to anything at this time, so there is no dial tone on them).

I then removed all line appearances on the ATA and set its Prime Line to Line Pool A. I have a plain telephone connected to it for testing. When I pick up this plain phone and dial 9, I can see the indicator on the T7316E show that Line 7 is in use. Also, if I first pick up Line 7 with the T7316E, then pick up the plain phone and dial 9, I see Line 6 in use according to the indicator on the T7316E. So it looks like things are behaving exactly like I want/expect.

(Can you tell I am being cautious before I start messing with the five lines we are actually taking calls on?)

A few more questions:
1. Right now, the ATA has shows two Intercom keys. Should I change that to one, or does it even matter?

2. Can I eliminate dialing 9 by setting an external hotline on the ATA that just has the 9? If I am thinking correct, that would automatically give the fax machine an outside line, and the user would just dial the number (as they have been doing up to now).

3. Do I need any line appearances on the ATA? I don't think I do, since the Auto Attendant should field the incoming fax and transfer it to the ATA's extension.

4. Brian mentioned setting "a line pool access code (usually 9) for Pool A". I've not actually done that, but I am dialing 9 to get to Pool A, so is that something the system does automatically? (It may have existed from old programming...this MICS was purchased used.)

5. If the line pool access code is not automatically set, where does one set it?

2) I'm not certain, but I believe you can go into programming for the DN, Line Access -> Prime line -> (change from I/C to Pool A).

4) You probably have your line pool access code set up as a dest code, using a route, with the route pointing to pool A.

Use the Hotline approach with the ATA for whatever reason using it with prime line does not like to work.

A few more questions:
1. Right now, the ATA has shows two Intercom keys. Should I change that to one, or does it even matter?

----Leave it at 2 Intercoms.

2. Can I eliminate dialing 9 by setting an external hotline on the ATA that just has the 9? If I am thinking correct, that would automatically give the fax machine an outside line, and the user would just dial the number (as they have been doing up to now).

--------Yes Hotline (External), 9

3. Do I need any line appearances on the ATA? I don't think I do, since the Auto Attendant should field the incoming fax and transfer it to the ATA's extension.

-------No line required to appear.

4. Brian mentioned setting "a line pool access code (usually 9) for Pool A". I've not actually done that, but I am dialing 9 to get to Pool A, so is that something the system does automatically? (It may have existed from old programming...this MICS was purchased used.)

--------Pool Access codes can be changed under System Programming/Access Codes.

5. If the line pool access code is not automatically set, where does one set it?

---------See my answer above, also keep in mind to allow the set access to the pool under Line Access.

For an ATA you need to program:
2 intercoms
Prime line to Pool
Access to Pool
Hotline (External) with a Pause (Enter Feature 78 for a Pause).

Done!

There could be a problem with having the fax machine use any line in a pool. What happens when someone sends a fax on line 5 and then an outside party is trying to fax something to your office. Line 6 is answered by the CallPilot and trys to transfer to the fax machine, but it is busy.

You should really consider getting an additional POTS line. It's been my experience that you always have trouble when you share a fax with voice.

Norstar & Vodavi phone systems and network cabling in Gainesville & Ocala Florida

Curly cord is the only one I would listen to dude...He as I have been there and done that. It also keeps you from having to outpulse a line or pool access code (9). Only works for copper, not PRI (there is no dial tone on PRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back