Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using jump menu to navigate to files and folders on a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lajones3

Technical User
Sep 19, 2006
US
Can the jump menu only be used to navigate to urls?

I am trying to use it to jump to folders and files on a server.

When I upload the page, the links don't work. It's removing the slashes "/" . So you get a "this file does not exist" message.

Can anyone help me out with this?
Thanks

lajones3
"Live close to your dreams.

Hey lajones3,
the answer to question is YES you can navigate URLs
MM calls it Jump Menu as you said it.

This is NOT the same as 'jump to folder' where this rgiht is granted on IIS or Apache setups....
What you are trying to do is generally not safe and you should not allow folder browsing but rather make a page and link to files...hence the Index.ext was born :).

However...sometimes you just need this feature so:
You CAN allow folder browsing and leave out use of index but that is depending on the server type...and listing of files is pretty poor visually. In other words visitor would be able to see and listing of it After you allow folder browsing.

Ultimately, best would be building a dynamic file management then look towards hooks of of dynamic languages such as php,asp etc. but this is whole another beast.

Hope this helps.
All the bestr!

:--------------------------------------:
Do the DW »|MostarNetworks|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back