Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using isnull() for date fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

rq

Programmer
Jun 13, 2002
US

In my SELECT statement, I have a date field in which at times it will have NULL values. If I use the ISNULL() function, can I define the replacement value (i.e., the second parameter in the ISNUll function) to be a blank date field -- as in ' / / '?

Tried this several ways and
it always displays as 1900-01-01 00:00:00.000.

andremc

OK. This is my third attempt at answering your question and I think I just got it.

The answer would be yes if you treat (define) your date field as char or varchar, in which case SELECT IsNull(MyDate, ' / / ') will do what you want.

Hope this helps.

Corran007...I created a view that is used by Data Transformation Services to export results into a dbf format. Within that view, I would like to represent NULL dates as a blank date field.

Thanks, BugSlayer !!! That did the trick...

rq,

Remember this:

1. DATETIME datatype ALWAYS is a date AND a time. If one or both are not provided MS SQL Server inserts the default.

2. You cannot use dates/times with DATE functions (DATEADD, DATEDIFF, etc) when they are VARCHAR, NVARCHAR, CHAR, NCHAR. To use DATE functions, the date and time MUST be DATETIME datatype. If you have them stored as VARCHAR, etc. you will need to convert/cast the data before using the DATE functions. Again, NULL cannot be converted/cast into DATETIME datatype.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back