Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using IIS for ASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPKee

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
US
I'm really new at this. I have written several small programs that I know work, I can put them on the server at the college and they run. On IIS (Windows 2000 pro) at home, I can get the directory to come up and I can display the HTML page; however, the program will not bring up the ASP portion. When I click the submit button I get:
"The page cannot be displayed"

I would really like to do this at home instead of having to go to the college every time to test and tweak my programs. Thanks in advance.

Try writing an extremely small program to double check that it is IIS not your script.
Code:
<%
Option Explicit
Dim myText
myText = &quot;The ASP is working&quot;
%>
<html>
<body>
The html is working.<br>
<%=myText%>
</body>
</html>

If the above script works than you have an error in your scripts, if it doesn't work than it is IIS with a setting not quite right.
-Tarwn &quot;The problem with a kludge is eventually you're going to have to back and do it right.&quot; - Programmers Saying (The Wiz Biz - Rick Cook)
&quot;Your a geek!&quot; - My Girlfriends saying

The program doesn't work. I believe it to be an IIS setting, but I don't know what else to try. Here are my settings:

&quot;Enable Default Document&quot; is checked.

Default Documents window says:
&quot;Default.htm,Default.asp,iisstart.asp&quot;

&quot;Allow Directory Browsing&quot; is checked.

Access Permissions:
Read, Write, Script Source Access, are all checked.

Application Permissions:
Execute (Including Scripts) is checked.

Try this: open IIS Services, right click on the default website (or your website in the left menu) and select properties. Click on the property tab labeled &quot;ISAPI Filters&quot; and see if ASP is in there. If it isn't, add it.

Click on ADD and then Browse. You're looking for ASP.dll. It's normally located at C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv.

Make sure to restart IIS services. Give this a try.

Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back