Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using HP multi-function printers with Windows XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk
I am shopping for a new inkjet printer/scanner, and have added a couple of HP models to my shortlist: HP 2130, and HP Envy 4520.

My question is: Can I use either of these models with a computer running XP Professional SP2?

I can't see anything in the specs about this. I saw an independent review that suggested the 2130 needs SP3, but it was a bit vague.

The HP site has a "basic driver" for download, which specifically mentions XP support, but with no mention of service packs.

Note that I am only interested in using the machine for basic printing and scanning, connected to a computer via USB. I am not interested in things like printing from mobile devides, or via wi-fi, or from the cloud, nor will I use any of the little utilities that usually come with HP printers.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Well, I didn't really expect any replies to my question. What were the chances that anyone here would be familiar with those particular printers on that particular OS with that particular service pack, and would happen to see my message?

Not to worry. I went ahead anyway and bought an Envy 4520. For what it's worth, it works perfectly well with XP SP2, both printing and scanning (but I didn't try to install any of the extra non-essential utilites).

I just thought I'd mention this in the unlikely event that anyone else has the same problem.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Thank you for providing an end to your story; you never know when some arcane bit of knowledge might be useful.

One such arcane bit is that you're probably better off with software as basic as it can possibly be; HP likes to install stuff that is super fancy, and, er, not quite as finished as one might like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back