Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using HardDrives as opposed to tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rancid

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2003
GB
Hi all.

i am considering dropping our old tape system and possible trying to use Hardrives instead.

my idea was to build a pc with a hard drive caddy and then get 24 hard drives and use them as if they where tapes.

i see in veritas BE8.6 you can create Back-up to Disk folders.

my concern is that BE8.6 may not see the 24 drives as seperate back-up media.
im assuming that if i hot swap the disk drives then they will all just show up as the E: drive and as far as BE8.6 is concered its just a folder on a drive and not 24 folders each on seperate drives.

can i lable each of the hd's the same way tape media is labeled ?

is there a whitepaper or read me on how to use hard disks instead of tapes ?

Cheers

Ran.

Hello,
I use Back-up to disk for some of my servers. I have used it for 3 years now. I have never had any problems with it, I have less problems with it than I do backing up to tape. From my experience it just see's them as a folder. I set up a different folder for every day and label it mon - sun. I the overwriteing would be left to you on what you need but it works like a tape would, but the restore is twice as fast. It is real easy to set up when you start up and it ask for media just go in and creat a backup to disk folder just put in the name of the folder and where you want it. When you set up the job just make sure you pick the right folder for the right day.

Backup Exec won't see each individual hard drive as a piece of media. As backupbob said, you have to set up the backup-to-disks yourself, which appear as folders in Windows Explorer. In the Backup Exec interface (I'm referring to version 9.0, so what's actually there may vary) they will appear as media available for writing on, like another tape. You can label it much like you can with tapes.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back