Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using gzip from Unix to Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

saw15

Technical User
Jan 24, 2001
US
I gzip a text file and transfer in binary mode to a win2000 machine. When I use winzip to unzip the if file it is changing the format.

Two columns of data prior to gzip. Once I gzip the text file it is transformed into one row of data.

Help would be much appreciated with this problem, I can't move and large files at the moment.

Have you tried Winzip to unzip the file? I have not tried it myself, but have herd of others who swear by it. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

The problem may not be with gzip or winzip but with the application you are using to open the file. I have gzipped a two column text file, used binary to ftp to my desktop, used winzip to unzip. When I open the text file with Notepad, it's a mess. When I open it with another text editor I have, it looks the way it should.

What are you using to open the file after you get it to your desktop and unzip it?

Using WinZip 8.1 to unzip it.

Whether I use compress or gzip, when I do use it and then ftp the file in binary the following file goes from:
HMOY
RSKY
CSTY
POSY
OOAN
NKMY
ANYN

to
HMOY RSKY CSTY POSY OOAN NKMY ANYN

And this is prior to unzipping it. When you pull up winzip, you can view the file prior to actually unzipping it. Its at this point that the conversion has taken place.

Any other thoughts?

This is a CRLF/LF translation problem (i.e. translation is not getting done). You'll have to translate before you zip, or after you unzip.

Are you doing a ux2dos conversion of the file before you gzip it? DOS doesn't understand the end of line record that unix uses. As saweens and dobbyn said, some of the windows programs can cope (like wordpad and word and excel) others (like notepad) cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back