Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using gunzip (correclty!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsiJoe

Technical User
Oct 9, 2000
US
Hey,
I've downloaded different ports (xfree86,games,etc) from the Freebsd website, burned the cd's and tried to decompress the .gz files. I tried various switches, however, I always get xxxxxx is a read only file system (xxxxx is the name of the file trying to work with), I did use the -fc switch and directed the output to a file, hoping that it might create an executable (it didn't), is there something special that I am missing. I have tried using gunzip, gzip, and zcat all getting the -ro message.

hi,
i'm not sure if i understand. let me see. first, you have lotsa files on the cd. cd is mounted under /cdrom
(==== i presume ===)
if you try to #cd /cdrom; gunzip xxx.tgz it wont work.
/cdrom is read-only file system.
did you try something
#cd /path/to/your/home/dir/
#mkdir tmp
#cd tmp
#cp /cdrom/xxxx.gz ./
#gunzip xxxx.gz
that should work. i might be wrong, but as i said, i'm not sure how you're getting error about read-only filesystem.
afaik, it's because:
1' you're in /cdrom ( and that is ro filesystem)
2' you're somewhere else on the box and the filesystem is readonly. in that case, type mount -a to try to remount ev erything in /etc/fstab as rw ( you've gotta be r00t of course for that :)
$0.02
for .tgz i use tar -zxvf xxx.tgz
hth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back