Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using GPS on smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Y (pretty ancient)

Normally if I use the map application, the smartphone battery only lasts about 1 hour.

I discovered recently that if I switch it into flight mode and then switch on wireless, I can get about 3-4 hours: more than enough to complete my journey without charging the phone. When I am using it as a sat nav, I don't really want phone calls anyway.

I also have a windows phone without a sim card so it is basically just a tablet. The battery on that lasts quite long too when I am using GPS.

Is this the same with all phones? If the phone capability is switched off and GPS is on, does the battery last a lot longer?

Yes, the more radio's turned on, the more battery it will use. They are actively searching for a cell service or towers even if they don't have service with a carrier, and that takes a lot of power. Same with WiFi if it is constantly searching for a hotspot it will eat the battery also.

Cell radio seems to eat the most data of all. Wifi uses some, but far less than cell under "normal" circumstances.

I've done what you said about basically using a phone as a tablet for my son for the past few years. I've set it up sort of as a portable gaming device, and have always set it on airplane mode but yet allow wifi connections. So even with him playing games, it lasts a pretty good while.

The GPS radio itself can still use quite a bit of battery, but you kind of need that if you're using the GPS.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

GPS uses less power than any other 'radio' because it is purely a receiver.

802/11 WiFi uses a little more than GPS because it is a short range transmit only when it is in use, such as browsing or collecting email.

'Cell' radio uses more than 'WiFi' because it periodically transmits it's location to the nearest tower(s).

Blue Tooth will tend to use most because it is constantly 'looking' for another device to 'pair' with

IT Joke;

Men are Blue Tooth, because they try all other possible 'partners' when their current pair is out of range.

Women are WiFi, because while they see all possible partners they will only connect with the strongest.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back