Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Ghost to create images to download Win 95 and programs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaj

Instructor
Jun 13, 1999
AU
Has anyone had any problems with using Ghost to download images as we seem to be getting corrupted Win 95 registry files? Should we be using Ghost or would it be better to install the software on each computer individually?

Windows 95 doesn't support imiging because of SID's. I believe 98 is same. I went to a Windows 2000 seminar and it will support that.

I am not sure about 95/98, but Ghost does have a utility called Ghost Walker to change SID's in NT machines. I have used it quite successfully in most Microsoft MCSE core class. <br>
<br>
I suspect it can do 95/98 also

I can honestly say that I have never had that problem using Ghost images on Windows 95 onto an NT Server. The only hassle we did get was with Ethernet cards and IP addresses, as we used a static IP network at the time. My biggest hassle with Ghost was always creating the boot disks ;-)

I also never had a problem using ghost. I have ghosted literally over 100 pc's with no problems. When ghosting NT machines you do need to change the sids (ie ghostwalker). Ghost has made many lives alot easier. GREAT PROGRAM!!!!

what about trying a different imaging program called Image Cast that is what we use at our center. it's faster more efficient and we haven't had any problems yet. ;-}

If you're trying to dump images onto machines with varying hardware configurations, the plug-n-pray may be having problems reconfiguring itself. Cloning works great when all machines have identical hardware configuration, not so well other times. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

We have two setups - we use Ghost for testing new software before we put it on the live network. This allows much faster rebuilding of machines inbetween tests.<br>
<br>
The other setup is for new machines, or machine sneeding to be refreshed. If this is the case, we have a build server that allows you to select which packages you want to install, and it is all done for you. However, Ghost takes 10 minutes, build server, about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, depending on the build required.<br>
<br>
Ghost has it's uses, and used in the right environment, nothing I have come across is better.

I have usedboth Ghost and ImageCast on NT Servers and Win 95/98 for classes and I havn't had any problems. You have to change the names and IP address, if they are static, beyond that I havn't had a problem. You do need to use GhostWalker for the NT Servers. Also, you can image PDC' s and BDC's as long as you use Ghostwalker.<br>Losthoosier

I have never used ghost and I would appreciate if somebody can tell me more about it.&nbsp;&nbsp;How important it is and which area is mostly used.<br><br>Maggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back