Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Ghost 2003 with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
Hello to ALL!!!

I just purchased an 80GB WD HDD...my machine currently has a 40GB WD HDD with Windows XP Home Ed. I would like to use Symantec Ghost 2003 to make an image of the 40GB drive and put it on my 80GB drive to make it look EXACTLY like it did on the 40GB drive.

I plan to:

1.) install the 80GB drive...partition it into (2) 40 GIG partions and format it
2.) Connect both HDDs on the same IDE channel (40GB as master and 80GB as slave)
3.) Use the 80GB (with a fresh image from the 40GB) as the primary boot drive
4.) Install Windows XP Pro on the old 40GB and use it as storage.

Am I missing anything?

I also read that I would need to edit the boot.ini to reflect the installation of the 2nd OS...

You would not need the boot.ini setting unless you wanted to boot from the old drive.

A couple of things:

1. connect the drives on different ide channels and you will get much faster data transfer. I would put the 80 on channel 1 and the 40 on channel 2. Since you will be ghosting it right away, and booting off the new drive it will make it easier down the road.

2. make the image of the original drive and save it to the second partition on your new one. That way it will be there in the future if you want to start over. It will then allow you to format the 40gig and use it for other things. You can then move the image to the 40 gig drive if you want.

3. when creating the image use maximum compression, it is slower to create and load but will save 10% or more in storage space.

JON

Great. Thanks, Jon.
After I've ghosted the drives and booted from the 80GB drive, I assume my 40 GB drive will show up as another drive with its own drive letter UNTIL I install an OS on it (Windows XP Pro, to be exact).

It always will be a drive letter, if the format is the same on the drive. Like fat32 or ntfs. Actually an ntfs OS will see a fat32 drive but not the other way around.

With the way you want to set it up, you should see this:

c:\ boot partition on 80gig
d:\ 2nd partition on 80 gig
e:\ 40 gig drive
f:\ cd-rom or dvd

If you need to you can change the drive letters. sucha s cahnge the 40 gig to g:\ then change the cd-rom to e:\ then change the 40 gig again to f:I forget if you can change the second partition drive letter or not but I think so.

JON

A couple of tips.

Inatall the drives on different channels for increased performance.

You do not need to install XP on the old drive to use it as storage, it will show up in XP as a drive anyway.

When your done move the swap file, page file, virtual memory or whatever term MS are using for it now on to the old drive on the seperate channel. This will improve performance a lot.

Or just wipe your computer and install Linux. Much nicer.

Very much appreciated...I ran off and exchanged the 60GB drive for an 80GB since the 80GB went on sale.(both are Maxtors). I'm on it this weekend!

muthabored

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back