Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using G450 or similar gateway as non survivable? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2009
US
I have 5 people in an small office that I have set up with IP sets off the main system, our WAN is in the midst of being upgraded so the communication across the WAN is not good during peak times. This is a sales office and does not need to be survivable and we are looking for the least expensive way to put phones on the desk yet making them think they are on our main system. We are thinking if we keep the IP phones, put a gateway in and connect the Analog lines to the gateway, set up the routing to have all calls (except station to station) go across the analog lines for now and once our network is up to snuf we can change the routing back to inhouse.

Has anyone done something like this? Do Gateways need a brain?

Thanks for your help!

Why not put a G430 with a S8300D and IA770 there. IP trunk it back to your main site to allow for 4 digit dialing between sites. Add an ISDN Pri for PSTN. Easy and cheap and it wont matter if you WAN is not good. If you do your routing right, when the WAN is down your 4 digit dialing will take the PSTN route. IMO, that is a good solution for a site with not the greatest WAN. FCE is fine for many locations, but maybe not for here.

Thanks Phoneguy55, that would be great but we are trying to be as cheap as cheap can be. I know the solution you suggest is cheap but not cheap enough [sadeyes]. My boss does not want to spend the money on s8300's he basically wants a solution where we stick a device in an office that will accept PSTN stuff so routing can be done during peak times to create better QOS until the WAN is completed

Sorry I am not as up to date on the acromyns as I should, IMO an FCE what do they stand for.

Any thoughts about going really cheap?

The G430 and G450 have "SLS" whicih standds for "Standard Local Survivability", the gateway can be adminsitered with a mini dialplan, and work with either a PRI or POTS lines installed. Let me WARN you, programming and keeping the SLS up to date is a HUGE PITA (google PITA).

Yes, it can be done. NO, it is not worth the effort and cost of saving a single S8300C or S8300D blade, and an LSP license. If you use an "LSP", the failover is automatic, and the programming that runs IS what is on your main switch, but only for the hardware/stations/trunks at that site. In other words, every time you do a "save trans", your LSP translations get updated. SLS is not as simple as this and needs totally separate administration/maint.

Ask your boss how much your TIME is worth, it will COST hime vastly more money wasting your time setting up and administering SLS than just going with a simple S8300 blade and an LSP license.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

agree with Mitch. SLS is a neat idea but an S8300D is not a lot of money.

Thanks for the info Mitch and Phoneguy55. I do agree with you all,but we are looking for a short term "cheap" solution until the network is completed. My fear is the network team will not get the network completed as indicated and we implement this "short term/cheap" solution and we are in a programming nightmare.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out! :eek:)

IP Office with IP trunking to main site.

ACS - IP Office Implement
ACA - IP Telephony Implement
CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate
MCP - Microsoft Certified Professional

I like stars

Hi,
I have only an E1 connection between two sites (dedicated line), is It possible to have a registered IP Phone, LSP and MG through it or I need an IP connection.
I'm looking for a solution for this situation

Thanks
Frank

avidbumble... I have configured G430 Gateway with Standard Local Survivability to Tokyo, Japan and Westerstede, Germany off two CM 5.2.1. They work fine. You have two options... you can manually configure it as described by Mich672 and it is not too difficult or you can setup the AVAYA Management Tool that can be used to push all updates every 24 hours. If you have Enterprise licenses, you are entitiled to the software which is available via PLSD. I am not sure what you want to know, but in reading your inital comments, it is possible and a sound one for bandwidth convervation.

BTW, doing it in SLS saves on the HW cost of the media module. And if you have Enterprise CM license, then the LSP license is 1cent. If you have Standard CM license, the 2nd LSP licsense is $2,000 the last time I asked.

How can I see if I have got an Enterprise License instead a Standar licence?
Thanks
F

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.aucommunity.com/showthread.php?p=100653#post100653[/URL]

display system-parameters customer-options                      Page   1 of  11
                                OPTIONAL FEATURES
     G3 Version: V15                             Software Package: Enterprise
       Location: 1                            RFA System ID (SID): 54321
       Platform: 6                            RFA Module ID (MID): 1

display system-parameters customer-options                      Page   4 of  11
                                OPTIONAL FEATURES
   Emergency Access to Attendant? y                              IP Stations? y
           Enable 'dadmin' Login? y
           Enhanced Conferencing? y                        ISDN Feature Plus? y
                  Enhanced EC500? y        ISDN/SIP Network Call Redirection? y
    Enterprise Survivable Server? n                          ISDN-BRI Trunks? y
       Enterprise Wide Licensing? y
------------------------------------------------------------
dadmin@S8700-1> statuslicense -h
statuslicense [ -a application ] [ -f [# | field] ] [ -?hv ]
    -a [ CommunicaMgr | AUDIX | CORNERSTONE | SNMP ]
          find license information for specific application
          (default is CommunicaMgr)
    -e  - prints Allocation License Status and Expiraton Date, 
          if EWL is enabled
    -f [ # | field name] - gives information on feature field
           returns 0 if false, 1 if true, other values if error
    -v  verbose - gives a lot more information

dadmin@S8700-1> statuslicense -v -e
CommunicaMgr License Mode: Normal
checking application CommunicaMgr version R014x.00.3.737.4

Enterprise Wide Licensing Not Activated

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

36 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 26 years and counting

and a standard license would look like the following...

display system-parameters customer-options
OPTIONAL FEATURES

G3 Version: V15 --> Software Package: Standard
Platform: 22 RFA Module ID (MID): 1

Thanks everyone, we are going to stick a SLS gateway out there and see how it works. Sounds like it should be fine. I appreciate all the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back