Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using FP 2000 validation fields - Simple question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzi2000

MIS
Jan 28, 2004
US
I am trying to find out how validation works.
I have a simple form with few fields.
When user submit an empty name a message will appear that Name must be filled. (ie: msgbox "Name is empty")
The field has already in the text box validation, data length required is checked. But where I enter the message.
or how to display it.

Please advice,
Thank you.
Dré

Hi Dré,

Since you already know how to get to "Data length required", just set 3 or 4 in minimum length.

Although you selected Data required, you still need to add the 3 or 4. keep it a low number as some people's names are short. I stick with 3.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

Mystic:
thanks for the reply.
Yes I know to add 3 or 4 in the data lenght required but wherere do we enter the message. Besides when I click submit I get an error message in the preview mode.
Please advice,
Thank you.
Dré

Hey Dré,

Sorry, I should have clarified ... the message is built into the validation, you don't actually do it yourself.

The following link is a form I built for a friend. You can see how the messages work.

Try filling out one or two fields and then hit submit ...

This form uses simple FrontPage validation. You could highlight the table, copy it and paste it into a new page to see how the validation is set up.

Of course, if your form were published, it would be easier to diagnose. If it is, give us a URL.

Micheal

Mystic:
thanks for the reply.
I was able to view the site you have provided and it works like a charm.
I copied and paste it into frontpage but I still can't see where you enter the message "Please enter a value for the "Name" field.
Or is it that frontapge wil take care of the message once it is published.
I tried under preview but when I press submit I get the infamous page cannot be displayed. (I guess I have to install server extension),
Please advice,
Thank you.
Dré

Hi Dré,

The message is built in. You don't control this with the FP form handler.

It is simply the field name and a generic message.

Re: Publish ... Yes you will have to publish to a server with the FPSE installed in order for the form page to work.If you don't have money for hosting, you can get free space with the extensions at

Micheal

Mystic:
Thank you so much for the explanation.
It makes a lot of sence,
Thank you.
A star was awarded...
Thank you,
Dré

Status
Not open for further replies.