Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using filters as gradient

Status
Not open for further replies.

cASE

Technical User
Mar 12, 2001
CZ

Is it possible to apply your desired filter on whole image or selection as a gradient or how to say it. I mean imagine I`d like to make image blurred or somehow fragmented gradually from centre to border so the effect-intesity is lowest in the centre and highest on the border [or conversely]!????

Thanx for tips...

Yep,

there may be an easier way (not sure) but the way I do it is to copy the layer I am going to apply the effect to. Then you apply the filter to this new layer, add a layer mask, and apply the appropriate gradient. This should give you the effect you are after.

good luck
gollyg

gollyg> but i think that the gradient won`t affect the intensity of the filter [effect], will it? imagine you want to have the image fragmented more and more as you go from the centre to borders....

btw> do you know filter called "fragment" under "pixellate" group [i think]....when you apply it it won`t offer you any options....is it possible to adjust somehow the intensity of this effect????

I see what your saying - i don't think it is possible. The closest you could come might be to use multiple layeres, similar to what I was saying before, but each representing a 'stage' in the effect, so that you had images like ripples in a pond. But this is a pretty messy way of doing it.

If you find a way let me know!!

you could have a layer above your image which is white in the middle to transparent at the edges.

Apply the affect to this and then play with the blending options.

That might work. I think.

Manic -----------------------------
I've broken it again !!
-----------------------------

ALL> THIS IS ADVICE I`VE BEEN GIVEN BY SOME GUY IN PHOTOSHOP CENTRAL....DON`T KNOW IF IT WORKS....

Hi again Case, still busy playing with filters by the sounds of things...

You wrote:

"Is it possible to apply your desired filter on whole image or selection as a gradient or how to say it. I mean imagine I`d like to make image blurred or somehow fragmented gradually from centre to border so the effect-intesity is lowest in the centre and highest on the border [or conversely]!????"

Here is what you are after:

Quick n Dirty:

Select all, enter QuickMask mode, create a gradient with the luminosity required for the selection strength (100%-0% black, 50%-10% black etc). Return to normal editing mode from QM mode - your selection will be active and will be based on the gradient, EVEN IF IT DOES NOT VISUALLY SEEM TO BE THE CASE...Apply your filter or colour adjustment etc. Perhaps save the selection as a channel beore dropping it.

Fully Editable:

Dupe your layer, run the filter on the dupe. Select all and apply a layer mask to the dupe (either hide or reveal). Use the gradient tool to paint the layer mask (not the layer) to get the 'gradated transparency' effects you require.

This is a handy way to 'blend' two similar or very different effects into one.

Also check to make sure that 'dither' is turned on for the grad tool for this type of work, which may suffer banding.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back