Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using fields already in tables using VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

nipchop

Technical User
Jan 22, 2001
GB
The module below looks at a table (called Table1) within that table is a field called CNT. This is a long integer number which stores a count of shipments. If this is greater than 1, it runs a macro (converted into VBA).

I have a problem in that it never enters the IF statement because it doesn't think that CNT = 1 or greater although it is. If it is changed to IF CNT = 0 then the statement works and the macro is ran...

I dont think that the field is being looked at and think that the reference to this field is wrong.

Can anyone help me?!

Function TheCleaner()
On Error GoTo TheCleaner_Err

DoCmd.OpenTable "Table1", acNormal, acEdit
DoCmd.GoToRecord acTable, "Table1", acFirst
With Table1
If CNT = 0 Then
SendKeys "^c", False
SendKeys "{DOWN}", False
SendKeys "^v", False
SendKeys "{UP}", False
SendKeys "{TAB}", False
Else
GoTo TheCleaner_Err
End If
End With

TheCleaner_Exit:
Exit Function

TheCleaner_Err:
MsgBox Error$
Resume TheCleaner_Exit

End Function

If what you are trying to do is perform an action if CNT is greater than 1 then you should do something like

Private Sub TheCleaner()
On Error Goto TheCleaner_Err

Dim rst as recordset
Set rst = currentdb.openRecordset("SELECT * FROM Table1")
rst.movefirst
if rst!CNT > 1 then
End if
rst.close
Set rst = nothing
TheCleaner_Exit:
Exit Function

TheCleaner_Err:
MsgBox Error$
Resume TheCleaner_Exit

End sub

What this does is it opens a recordset based on an SQL statement; moves to the first record; tests the value of the field CNT for the first record.

I don't think this is all that you want to do. I don't see much functional use, testing the first record only. You might want to move through the entire list of records.

ntp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back