Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using field value from tbl as variable and loop thru table??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2000
US
Greetings,

I have a table with 1 field = "Report_Name". The table (surprisingly enough) contains the names of reports - which have been imported to various tmp tables.

I have a varible declared = SrcTable as string.

Here is my code thus far.

SrcTable = "PCIM9METTM" 'this is the report name

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT IIf(Left([Field2],3)='JOB','',IIf(Left([Field2],3)='PGM','',Trim([Field2]))) AS Test1, " & SrcTable & ".Field3, " & SrcTable & ".Field4, " & SrcTable & ".Field5, IIf(Left([Field7],1)='-',[Field6] & '-',[Field6]) AS test2 INTO tmp_Table_Type_1 FROM " & SrcTable & ";"

What I am struggling with is how to use each Report_Name field value from the "tbl_Report_Names" table via a loop I'm guessing to populate the value of the variable "SrcTable"

Does this make any sense? Is there an easier way, am I on the right track?

Any assistance is greatly apprciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Your question actually covers a pretty broad topic. I recommend you get a book on Access coding like Programming Access 200x by Microsoft or Power Programming Access 200x
by Steve Barker, where x= your version of Access. The sections on ADO coding will show you how to set up a connection and how to do code loops etc

vbajock,

Thanks for the information. Perhaps my question was convoluted.

Here is my complete sub sans a global declaration for "SrcTable"...

Sub create_tables()
DoCmd.SetWarnings (False)

Dim Reportstable As Recordset
Set Reportstable = [tables]![tbl_Report_Names]

Do While Not Reportstable.EOF
SrcTable = Reportstable!Rpt_Nm

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT IIf(Left([Field2],3)='JOB','',IIf(Left([Field2],3)='PGM','',Trim([Field2]))) AS Test1, " & SrcTable & ".Field3, " & SrcTable & ".Field4, " & SrcTable & ".Field5, IIf(Left([Field7],1)='-',[Field6] & '-',[Field6]) AS test2 INTO tmp_Table_Type_1 FROM " & SrcTable & ";"

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT tmp_Table_Type_1.Test1, tmp_Table_Type_1.Field3, tmp_Table_Type_1.Field4, tmp_Table_Type_1.Field5, tmp_Table_Type_1.test2 INTO 'tmp_'" & SrcTable & " FROM tmp_Table_Type_1 WHERE (((tmp_Table_Type_1.Test1)<>' '));"

Reportstable.MoveNext
Loop

DoCmd.SetWarnings (True)

End Sub

It's actually the Dim and the set (where I'm trying to make the table="tbl_Report_Names" to be the recordset.

Thanks again.

DUH!
I was having a blonde moment.
Here's what I came up with

Sub create_tables()
DoCmd.SetWarnings (False)

Dim This As Database
Dim Reportstable As Recordset
Set This = CurrentDb
Set Reportstable = This.OpenRecordset("tbl_Report_Names")

Do While Not Reportstable.EOF
SrcTable = Reportstable!Rpt_Nm

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT tmp_Table_Type_1.Test1, tmp_Table_Type_1.Field3, tmp_Table_Type_1.Field4, tmp_Table_Type_1.Field5, tmp_Table_Type_1.test2 INTO tmp_" & SrcTable & " FROM tmp_Table_Type_1 WHERE (((tmp_Table_Type_1.Test1)<>' '));"

Reportstable.MoveNext
Loop

DoCmd.SetWarnings (True)

End Sub

dschomberg, is it possible your field reference in the recordset, is syntaxed incorrectly also?
Reportstable(Rpt_Nm). which is DAO
Reportstable!Rpt_Nm is an ADO reference.

It appears Your recordset is a DAO connection.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

I tried to work with your code, but it is quite frankly, a basket case. Add some comments explaining what it is you are trying to do and maybe I can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back