Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using exmerge on production server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizer

Technical User
Jan 27, 2004
US
hello
doing a test migrate to exch2003
i just read in the exmerge.doc file the following

"As far as possible, do not run the program on a production Exchange Server. When copying large messages, the ExMerge process could take up a significant percentage of the processor, thus slowly down the Exchange Server"

so I tried stopping the information store but then the utility will not run. Am i to assume that as i run it on my production server, incoming internet mail will not end up in the .pst files?
how do i run it "offline"

thx very much

I wouldn't worry so much about this warning - it's just MS being paranoid and covering their own back, I reckon.

If you're concerned about the effect of exmerge, make sure you run it at quiet times of the day instead of at 9am on Monday morning.

thx for your reply
now, what happens while u run exmerge to emails that are coming in?

Exmerge runs a standard MAPI connection to the mailbox, just like a client does. It reads each folder in turn. So, mail that arrives in the inbox before exmerge reads the Inbox gets copied to the PST; mail that arrives after exmerge has read the Inbox doesn't get copied to the PST.

If I remember it right, "run Exmerge offline" means running it off on a lab machine built with the exact settings as the production server, and not simply turn off Exchange services.

Thanx very much to all of you
i am all cleared up now
thx

Why don't you just unplug the network connection and let the emails back up?
Kevin Sweeney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back