Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Existing Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliotm

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
GB
I am going to upgrade a file server to completly new hardware in the next few weeks. Ideally I would like to give the new server exactly the same name as the exisitng file server. Is this an easy procedure or will it cause problems with SID's etc?

This is easily done if it's a fresh install on new hardware. If your original server is named "SERVER1", name your new one "SERVER2", copy the data from SERVER1 to SERVER2, take SERVER1 offline (remove from the domain) and rename SERVER2 to SERVER1.

BE AWARE: If you are running any applications on this server, verify that they handle a server name change before doing this.

If this is just a plain file server, this will work great for you. There are plenty of tools out there to help you migrate permissions, shares, and printers as well.

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

Thanks for your reply. I think I'm bit too much of pessimist to think anything is easy!

I've had to do this quite a few times myself to change hardware for servers where the applications are hard-coded.

You shouldn't have any issues. :)

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back