Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Exchange server with POP3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSkeen78

IS-IT--Management
May 26, 2004
US
I am running Exchange 2000 and when attempting to connect from home to the mail server via POP3, I am able to receive email, but I cannot send email. I have both POP3 Port 110 to receive email, and SMTP Port 25 to send email. It seems as though SMTP isnt configured correctly. Is this an Outlook setting, or an SMTP setting on the Exchange server?

Protocols on the server must be enabled, and, you need to have it set to allow you (remotely) to connect (relay actually). That is the dangerous part!

See the FAQ section on relaying before proceeding.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Could be many things. First I'd look for is a firewall in between blocking port 25. Then I'd make sure that you've configured Exchange to only allow relaying for authenticated users. Then you have to make sure that you authenticate to your SMTP server via Outlook.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

it is dangerous to open this up, but in exchange you can set up virt smtp servers... which you should do.. one will be a no relay and accepts all incoming mail for your domain.. the other can have stricter relay rules, that will allow you to send thru it.. each virt server has a different IP so your outlook client will need to reflect the new IP..

I think in microsoft they call it a dual homed smtp server...

That makes sense, to set up virtual servers. I can use one virtual server for multiple public IP Addresses that want to connect remotely to send and receive email.

POP - 10.1.1.1
SMTP - 10.1.1.2

Both IP's on same server. Right?

sort of ,

you can set up one smtp with relay restriction for receiving mail from internet, one for relay outside the network, and one for receiving/relay email that comes in from clients on the road...

these all need Public IPs that are different except for the internal to outbound smtp virt server.

have you considered jsut setting up at min a microsoft VPN, and this way you can jsut connect in and run outlook as if you were in the office...

Yes, we have VPN set up with Cisco gear, I am just trying to learn how all this POP3 and SMTP relaying works. I don't really care for exchange and the way it relays. But it definately gives me more to learn. I am moving towards the OWA world soon so hopefully Tech-Tips forums will continue to be helpful. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back