Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Excel VBA on a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMilnes

Technical User
Apr 14, 2000
GB
Visit site
Hi, all

I've used VBA on Windows quite successfully, and recently developed a system which had a combo box to display a list of some 3000 schools. It worked as expected on a PC, but when I installed on the person's Mac it failed with an 'Out of memory' message.

There's something on the Knowledge Base that points out it's done differently on the Mac (so much for cross-platform blah-blah-blah...) but even when I made the suggested adjustment, it still failed.

I'm desperate! Does anyone have any experience at all of implementing an Excel VBA system on a Mac?

Any info gratefully received...

Paul

Sorry, Paul. All I know about out of memory on a MAC is that MACs version of "too many temporary files" is that the file extensions need to be repaired. There is a process to do this and perhaps your MAC person knows what that process is. If I recall--it's something that any MAC user would know...

And I'll apologize now, 'cause I could be way off.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Thanks, Dreamboat, but I'm convinced this is a problem that Microsoft ought to own up to - it doesn't fir into their proud boast about Office being 'truly cross-platform'.

Personally, I'd be delighted if the client would change to Windows, but that ain't gonna happen!

Cheers.

Paul

Paul: That's what I'm trying to say is that Out of Memory messages aren't usually a cause of a program on Windows, so why should they be on MAC. What I'm getting at is that there's possibly a problem with the MAC that just wasn't revealed until you installed Office. On Windows, out-of-memory messages usually result from corrupt documents and or the need to free up resources. I don't know how to free up resources on a MAC, but as I said, I suspect it's got something to do with the extensions.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

From what I'm guessing VBA won't really work on a Mac as it's a Windows thing.

I'm about to investigate that sort of thing as I have a friend who wants to set up a database system on Macs with remote access.

I previously only have experience with Access and know some nifty VBA code.

I have a Mac a home but they aren't nearly as tweakable as PCs. This is their advantage and the reason for their stability though.

Leon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back