Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using EMC/Clariion DAE as JBOD via Brocade ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhino99

Technical User
Mar 10, 2005
CA
Should be receiving a couple DAEs with 36GB drives. From what I know about these units, they're FC-AL to the DPE (Storage Processors within). What would be required to address these drives without a DPE/SPs ? I'm guessing a DB-9 copper GBIC in a DS-16b (Re-branded Brocade 2800) connected to the chassis would allow me to see the drives, but would like confirmation.

Anyone attempt this, or have some pointers ? I'm guessing I'll have to modify the sector formatting from 520 to 512 (as discussed in a previous post).

Thanks in advance,
Rhino

Yes, you can do that. DAE is used only with FC-AL (to keep in mind with the FC switch). I did it some time ago, but I used with direct connect, not switched, but I don't think you gonna have a problem.

I'm guessing I'll have to modify the sector formatting from 520 to 512 (as discussed in a previous post).

that's right, you need to change the format from 520 to 512 (low level format).

Cheers.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Will these disks show up as unique disks, or be presented as a single target with multiple LUNs ? Should be visible from FABRIC clients off the Brocade, yes ?

Rhino.

Would the disks in the DAE be presented as multiple targets, or a single target with 10 LUNs ? A Fabric client off the Brocade should see these without Quickloop, correct ?

Thanks again,
Rhion

I'm not sure since I didn't use a FC Switch, but I guess this will show you one target with 10 LUNs.

A Fabric client off the Brocade should see these without Quickloop, correct ?

Actually, I don't know. But as I know, all FC-AL devices are presented with quickloop, but (again) I'm not sure... you could try anyway.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back