Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Dreamweaver to maintain a site not created in Dreamweaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lewis

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
Scotland
www.ml-consult.co.uk
I am in the process of creating a website for a client. It is a simple site, with a few HTML pages, a couple of CSS files, and a bunch of images. No JavaScript. Nothing particularly clever. I am coding the site by hand.

My client will eventually want to maintain the site herself. She doesn't know HTML or CSS, but she does have experience of Dreamweaver. I have never used Dreamweaver myself.

My question is this: If I simply hand over to her the finished HTML and CSS files, will she be able to open them in Dreamweaver for editing? Or does Dreamweaver require some special file format - perhaps some sort of "project" file - that would make it difficult to work with hand-coded HTML? Put another way, can Dreamweaver maintain a site that was created outside of Dreamweaver?

I know this sounds like a very basic question, but I don't want to put the client in a position where she has to learn new software just to maintain my site.

Just to confuse the issue (possibly), she runs Dreamweaver on a Mac.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Dreamweaver can edit HTML/CSS files. Web design can go both ways. It is not a one-way HTML generator.

For simple sites where the client is expected to apply updates, most designers just spin up a WordPress, DrupalGardens, or Squarespace site, set a stock theme, and then apply customization and content. This allows the client to edit/create content directly in the browser. There would be no need for Dreamweaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back