Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using different templates on laptop and server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataside

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
GB
Following on from the great help I received in my thread "Showing an Eamil as replied to." (" I have now encountered a problem.

The solution to my problem of not being able to see if an email was replied to was to use a view with discussion threads. I used a standard nsf tempalte I found on the server.

The notes administrators will not allow me to use any template on the server except for our standard Mail4.6.nft template. I use Notes 6.

The standard template has had the Discussion Threads section removed as well as lots of other things.

Although there was some sympathy and understanding from the administrators, I am now left without a very good view and am now starting to dislike notes as a useful tool. I need to know if an email has been action and the progress of the actions.

Is there a way round this? I'm hoping that perhaps I could have one view on my laptop and another on the server. Is this possible?

I could go back to a company using exchange but I'm not going to be defeated on this one!

Thanks

Pete

Normally you are manager of your own mail file so you are able to delegate access (though you don't have to be in R6 or in earlier versions with some complicated utilities).

If you have a full Notes client you would then be able to create a view (or copy and paste a view from the standard template if you can get your hands on it eg: a trial download from lotus.com).

Another alternative is to replicate to local and (using a trial download of designer client) modify or refresh the design. Since the design is probably refreshed each night you will want to mark that view as "do not allow refresh".
Or you could simply use the modified local replica all the time and in the replication settings specify that design does not replicate.

The BEST solution is to keep bending the administrators ear until they do it for you. That way you don't need to learn designing databases, or circumvent security, or risk a disciplinary action for contravening standards. Trust me, if you ask often enough so that they know your name and groan when you knock on their door, they will do it eventually, I would.

Find me @ onlinecorporatesoftware.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back