Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Dialup to access Work DSL connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmpicker

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
US
I am the network admin at a radio shack franchise. We have a small network consisting of a server and 2 workstations using microsoft's win98 peer to peer networking. We have a DSL connection on one of the workstations and the other 2 computers share this connection with great results. The owner wants to be able to dial up to the store and access his dsl from home. I have set the station with the dsl connection up to also be a dial-up server and I can dial up to it and connect with no trouble, but I can't seem to do anything else but connect. I have a proxy server on the work computer and have told the home base computer to look at the proxy with the tc/pip address of the server at work. Am I anywhere in the ballpark of getting this to work right? Can it even be done with win98, or must I use WinNT? Help!!

Mickey

I have not tried it on windows 98 I have a 2000 server and it works fine.
Things you need to look at are DNS and IP address the HOME pc needs to be given a Public IP address to get on the internet if you only have ONE static IP address you will be unable to give it an IP address.
You could try the one for the work pc.
Also you may want to put the work DNS servers in the home PC.
When you connect at home check the IP address WINIPCFG if it is not public you will not get on the internet.....
Good luck.
Nick
MCP A+

If you're running a Proxy Server you need to ensure of these three items...

1. IP Address: Needs to be the same as the office if you're not running DHCP, with a valid Subnet Mask for the subnet you're connecting to.

2. Default Gateway: Again if you're not running DHCP this will need to be set at the home PC, most of the time it needs to be set to the Proxy Server.

3. DNS Server: Again, if you're not running DHCP (see the connection here) you will need to make sure the client PC is setup with a valid DNS address. On some proxy server software you need to set it up as the Proxy Serves Address. Some of the new ones you can pass through the DNS request via the Proxy. Without knowing what proxy server software you are running I really can't answer that question.

In any case there are some good quality routers for under 100.00 out there. I use NetGear 314 at home, it works with Cable Modems and ADSL accounts. The good thing about this is it comes with a DHCP server and NAT's your connections through the router to the DSL line. Very user friendly to configure with Telnet or Web Browser, has a pretty good security set out of the box as well. Hope this helps you out a little.....

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

sobak,
The ip addresses at work are 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.3
I assigned the home computer 192.168.1.4 All have a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
I set the default gateway (at home) to 192.168.1.1, which is where the proxy server is at work. I set this up in the network icon in the control panel under the tcpip protocol. I also set the dns server to 208.5.92.100 which is the one i use on the server at work. By the way the proxy server is the AnalogX Proxy. I still get nothing at home. Can't ping any of the work computers. I figure no need to worry about browsing until I can ping the computers at work. Any help would be appreciated, Mick

You cannot ping them because they are not public ip address you need to TCPIP nto the routers WAN address which will be public,an probably set the router to allow 5631 and 5632ports to the certain pc EG:192.168.1.2
Nick

Nick,
Even if the ip addresses are not public, you can still ping them from within the same subnet. Mickey, is PCAnywhere in this problem at all? The way I understand it you are trying to dial into one of the work PC's and access the DSL line using RAS not PCAnywhere? I think we need to find the direction you want to go with this so we don't end up giving you different solutions to your problem, update us and let us know........ Thanks. X-) david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

My bad on the PCanywhere thing its early.....
But if you want to dial in and have internet access Im pretty sure that unless your home PC has been assigned a public ip address you will not be able to use it for internet access.
I have a windows2000 server which i do the same thing on which is also behind a router using 192.168.1.2.
It did not work untill I assisgned the dial in client a static Ip address from the server and not at the workstation,
All i needed to do at the work station is set it to obtain an address from the server.

Nick

I have the same situation but instead of using a DSL line I use a Cable Modem. When I dial into my network to my server I obtain a IP Address for the local network (192.168.1.0) from my DHCP server. The router (NetGear 314) that I have connecting my LAN to the Cable Modem handles the proxy of my internal IP network to the external world via NAT. The IP Address @home assigns to me is actually assigned to the Router. My internal Private IP Address is NAT'ed through the router to the outside world. This is the same technology the proxy server uses. You can dial into the lan via a server that sits on the 192.168.1.0 network get an ip address (or use a static) once the system can set the rest of the network then the proxy server will handle all internet traffic to the internet by dropping the internal IP Address as the original and then append the address that the DSL modem has assigned to the workstation. Works great when it does work but is very dependant upon the workstation doing the proxy (this is why I went with the netgear 314 router).

Mickey, I will take a look at my 95 laptop and configure it to call into my network tonight (unless you are able to get it resolved by then) Since it's been such a long time dealing with 95/98 my memory is fading on it. sorry about that :-( Update us and let us know if you resolve your problem in the mean time......You should be close to getting it done, the issue is now if the TCP/IP stack on the 98 machine is passing IP traffic to the dialup. Once you start to pass traffic everything else should be up and running. david e

Okay, I setup my Windows 95 system to dial-in and it worked great, I was able to access the internet via my internal lan just fine. During the setup I did notice one setting that wasn't checked by Default. That was under the Server Types tab, in the Allowed Network Protocols: TCP/IP was not checked, NetBEUI and IPX/SPX Compatible were checked. I removed the IPX/SPX Compatible and enabled TCP/IP. Under the TCP/IP Settings you can set the IP Address, Default Gateway and Subnet MASK. If you are setting that information up in the Network setup, you will need to set them up under the Dial-up Section. I bet you if you check this item and ensure you are routing TCP/IP and have your IP Address information setup here you should start working. Let me know if this helps you out any....

david e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back