Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using DECODE to avoide DIV by zero errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

memarkiam

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
GB
I'm having trouble with DIV/0 errors. I can't filter this out in the HAVING clause as the whole role row will go, and there is data in other columns I need.

Someone suggested using DECODE, which seemed a good idea, but I can't get the syntax right for this query. The particular statement that is causing the error is:

count(case when (DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM between '1-Jan-2001' and '31=Dec-2001') then DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM end)/count(case when (DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM > '1-Jan-2001' or DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM is null) then DM2_EMP_location.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER end) as ChrnLY,

So I tried putting in DECODE thus:
count(case when (DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM between '1-Jan-2001' and '31=Dec-2001') then DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM end)/count(DECODE(case when (DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM > '1-Jan-2001' or DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM is null),0,1) then
DM2_EMP_location.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER end) as ChrnLY,

but get a 'missing keyword' error at the ',0,1'

Any ideas?
Any suggestions not using DECODE?
I'm not able to use stored procedures.

Many thanks!!!

Mark
London

If your COUNT statement produces 0, you should place DECODE OUTSIDE your statement.
decode(count(case when (DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM > '1-Jan-2001' or DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM is null) then DM2_EMP_location.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER end), 0, 0,
count(case when (DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM between '1-Jan-2001' and '31=Dec-2001') then DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM end)/count(case when (DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM > '1-Jan-2001' or DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM is null) then DM2_EMP_location.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER end)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back