Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using decimalseperator in Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ldegeus

Technical User
Sep 14, 2005
EU
I want to change the decimalseperato in an Excel sheet. I want to do this with Application.decimalseperator="," or Application.Decimalseperator="." but for some reason the application doesn't ecccept it. I think it has to do with some library I didn't install but I'm not sure. Which library has to be installed to fix this.

Using
Windows XP SP2
Excell 2000

You have to use this too:
Application.UseSystemSeparators = False

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I found out that in the given version this doesn't work. In later version this command is available.

This code changes the decimal separator in Registry:
Code:
Sub RegionalSettings()
Set regedit = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
 A = regedit.RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sDecimal")

If A = "," Then
   MsgBox "We'll change "","" with ""."" !"
   regedit.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sDecimal", "."
   regedit.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sThousand", ","
 Else
   MsgBox "We'll cahge ""."" with "","" !"
   regedit.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sDecimal", ","
   regedit.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sThousand", "."
 End If
End Sub
Unfortunately changes take efect only after closing and reopening of Excel.
I solved that before creating a script able to memorize all the open files and addins, to find the open session of Excel and close it followed by reopening of all files...

Fane Duru

thank you for your info. It's sad indeed that it only takes affect after restarting Excell. I took an other solution. With replace I change all "." with ",". Its only one column and the max value is about 200 so I have no problems with thousands. And I don't save the changed data so thats no problem also. I also use the program on a Excell 2003 and there I adjusted the program and that works fine.

If I will have some time I will post also the code able to close and open Excel with all files...

I used to have an addin making that

Fane Duru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back