Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using DDL and still getting goofy Results - Access 2010 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacroAlan

Programmer
Dec 4, 2006
US
I am transferring an Excel spreadsheet into Access 2010. Though I am defining the Temp table and the offending field as Text, the import is throwing out the data and only keeping the numeric Customer #s. Most of the numbers are numbers but one occassionaly begins with an alpha character.

Code:
   Dim strSQL          As String
    DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "tmpTrax"
    strSQL = "CREATE TABLE tmpTRAX ([CustomerNo] varchar(15),Customer varchar(15),[Project #] DOUBLE,[Project Title] VARCHAR(30),[SCR #] DOUBLE,Title VARCHAR(30),State varchar(15),"
    strSQL = strSQL & " [Employee ID] DOUBLE,Employee VARCHAR(30),Role VARCHAR(30), [Work Date] DATE,Hours DOUBLE,Notes MEMO, "
    strSQL = strSQL & " Approved varchar(15), [Submit Date] DATE,[Billable Flag] VARCHAR(10),[Billable Comment] MEMO,[Project Owner] VARCHAR(30),[Decision Date] DATE,"
    strSQL = strSQL & " [Billable Status Decided] VARCHAR(30),[Project Type] VARCHAR(30));"
    DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel12, "tmpTRAX", GetOpenFile, True
The table looks correct after creation and even when the records are brought in, it still says Text. Simply throws out records. [banghead]

Alan
[smurf]

Format the relevant columns to text ("@") in Excel before the transfer.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

That works. Problem for future is that I may not have control of Excel file before import. I built a “brute force” recordset to fix after the fact.

Thanks again

Alan
[smurf]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back