Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using dcpromo to demote a AD server failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2003
US
I am trying to demote a AD server using dcpromo but it fails. Here is the message I get. This operation failed because: Managing the network session with (servername.domain name) failed. The name limit for the local computer network adapter card was exceeded.

Has anyone had this happen and if so what was your solution?

Yes DNS is correct. I am not so concerned about demoting as much as keeping the name of the server. I need to rebuild the server and know that if I don't demote it I won't be able to use the current name.

Bangadrum5,

If you are unable to do a 'proper' demotion, you can use the Active Directory tool called NTDSUTIL to remove the references to the server in your A/D infrastructure. That way you can use the name again. Check out this link, it will give you all the info you need.

Have fun,

Patty [ponytails2]

Am I the only one sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the link from Patty?

;-)

Dave

You can manualy demote a W2K server by editing the line in the registry that reads LanmanNT to read ServerNT. (case sensitive)

This is at: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions and is the field "Product Type"

Then reboot, remove the machine from the domain and delete the ntfrs folder.

You will also need to manualy remove the name from AD as stated above.

Once you do this, you can do to the server what you wish. CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back