Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using -D option with htpasswd in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcourtr

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
Windows seems not to like the -D (for deleting a user from a password file) option with htpasswd running A2 under Windows. It just spits out the help text. Any ideas on why this is? The only way I have, at this point, is to open the password file in notepad and manually delete the line of the user.

Also, on a related point, anyone have a nifty PERL script that executes htpasswd and handles adding/deleting users from a web page? I'd like my info security staff to be able to manage users without actually giving them access to the server command line.

Mitch C.

Hey Mitch,

The -d switch is used to force CRYPT encryption -so says my [tt]htpasswd[/tt] anyway.

I think you have to add users, using a script -althoug I may be wrong about this?!

However, I've been spending the past two days on problems with [tt]htpasswd[/tt] ... NOW I know why...
[tt]
Server : Apache 2.0.39 - from a package named "FoxServ"
[/tt]

Whenever I tried to run [tt]htpasswd[/tt] I got this message : [tt]htpasswd: -c and -n options conflict[/tt]

I Googled like a mad to find out why - found a site that said that [tt]htpasswd[/tt] has a bug in the win32 build. They suggested to run v1.3 instead.

I found v1.3 here : ftp://ftp.bnsi.net/pub/apache/htpasswd.exe

REMEMBER to virus scan before running -I didn't find any vira, though §:O)

I don't know PERL, but I wrote a small PHP script to add/remove users. Post a question in the PHP forum (forum434) and post the thread number here -and I'd be happy to share it with you.

Good Luck

Jakob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back