Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using crystal report as a data source

Status
Not open for further replies.

dison

Technical User
Apr 20, 2005
GB
Hi. Im using crystal reports 8.5 I want to use a crystal report as a data source. Can this be done? If so how?

If it can be done can i make the 1st report run first, and then use the results of that report to genenrate the 2nd report?

Thanks for your help.

You can export the data - use the Export icon, the envelope with the downward red arrow.

This includes exporting as an Excel file, and it is possible to use Excel data as input, though I've never done it. Use Search to look for existing advance, and start a new thread if you can't find a decent answer.

Do you have the latest patches and dlls? In 2003, there was a change in Crystal 8.5 that improved it a great deal. If your export-choice says things like Excel Extended rather than MS Excel 97, then an update would make your life easier.

It's also worth joining the other Crystal forums. Click on my ID to get a list of them.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

As Madawc suggests, you can do so, however that's probably the slowest means.

Have you considered using MS Access or some other database object to present the data in a fashion required by the report?

Another consideration might be a subreport and passing data via shared variables.

-k

You may want to consider using a 3rd-party tool. See a list at:
My Visual CUT provides a solution for this scenario. See detail at: In particular, read the last section in that 1-page pdf file:
Code:
A typical use for the Replace option is to generate temporary tables for use by other processes or crystal reports. For example, Crystal Reports can't aggregate other aggregate values (e.g., average group totals) and can't sort groups based on formulas that use aggregate values. However, you can create a batch file that calls Visual CUT twice: first to export a report with aggregate values to a temporary table and then to process a 2nd report that uses the temporary table as input.

Cheers,
- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back