Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using compressian directives

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterKeller

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2003
DE
Hi,

is there a better performance backup client via LAN using Directives with compression?

Thanks
Peter

Hi,

Depends on the traffic and bandwith of the network you are in, not easy to say, depends as I said.

Regards
Cia

"with compression" puts less data on the network, so the network always performs better

It uses more CPU on the client, so if the client is already taxed, the backup may not perform better (you usually try to pick a time the client is not busy)

the server and tape drive does less work, so if you back up enough clients to peg either the server or the tape, then all backups may be quicker even if each backup is slower. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Agreed. It all depends on your network bandwidth. If you look at your network logs and see your network saturated during backups, then compressing the data before sending it from the client will reduce the the data on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back