Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using command vs tables in xi

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehong

Programmer
Sep 22, 2003
US
Hi, I would like to know which one is more efficient way of bringing data in a report between a command object and using tables (linking expert) directly. And if any pros and cons of using command vs tables or tables vs command. thanks in advance.

In some ways you have more flexibility with a command (you can do union statements, subqueries, etc.), but commands are harder to maintain because they are developed manually (or by copying and pasting from a query). In versions prior to CR 2008, you can only use multiple value parameters in commands by using a workaround.

I do find that commands are generally faster, but I would ordinarily use the CR GUI for a report as it is easier to work with, unless there is some feature that requires me to use a command. For a complex report where I need a union or subqueries, I am very glad to have the command option available to me.

This is a complicated question, and my response is only what occurs to me at the moment. I'm sure other factors weigh into other people's decisions on this.

-LB

(Not refuting anything lbass said.)

I'm facile with SQL now but when I started out the GUI was a serious lifesaver for getting things done. Now that I know more SQL I prefer to write my query in a tool and then create it in the database as a view, then hook my crystal to that.

I think rather highly of the gui. It does what most guis do and reduces your learning curve to get success. When I teach I always start people with the gui, then show them the command object so they know it exists, then go back to the gui for the rest of the lessons because there is so much more to learn in crystal and the gui gets you there.

Command objects compared to Views; I prefer views unless I need a feature that I can't fit in the view.

If I couldn't build my own views, I'd be using command objects rather heavily I imagine.

I suppose also that if I had to work with a set of other crystal reports programmers we'd have to come to some sort of accomodation based on the general skill levels of everyone. If they couldn't do SQL, they couldn't support my reports until they advanced. Which would leave me as the only person who could support my reports. Which means I'd get phone calls while on vacation. I'd be using the GUI more in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back