Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Column aliases in Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

memarkiam

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
GB
I thought I could use 'as' to name a column, and then use the column name in calculations. This would be particualry useful for aggregated functions. But I can't get it to work - I get 'invalid column name' error (on Oracle 8i).

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!
Thanks,
Mark

I'm trying this query:

select dm2_emp_location.CONTROL_6 as Store,
count(case when DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM is not null then DM2_EMP_location.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER end) as HeadCount,
count(case when DM2_EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYMENT_DATE >='1-Jan-2001' then DM2_EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYMENT_DATE end) as Starters,
count(case when DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM >='1-Jan-2001' then DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM end) as Leavers,
Leavers/HeadCount * 100 as Churn,
avg(case when DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM >='1-Jan-2001' then trunc(months_between(DM2_EMPLOYEE.DATE_OF_TERM, DM2_EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYMENT_DATE),2) end) as retention
from DM2_EMPLOYEE, dm2_emp_location
where dm2_emp_location.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER = DM2_EMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE_NUMBER
group by dm2_emp_location.CONTROL_6

mark i suppose the alias names and further operation on them can only be done if u create a view with those alias
as the column names...
if u create a view for the table giving alias name...like store,headcount..then u'll be able to process them

hopefully u'll be able to get the results right.

Best of luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back