Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using certain characters as strings

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughejars

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
GB
Hi

We use the 'backslash' \ symbol before double quotes and single quotes etc so the symbol will show up as string, not an operator.
I need to use the < 'less than' symbol, using the \ 'backslash' dosn't seem to work, yet it works ok for the > 'greater than' symbol. Any clues would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Phil
[peace]

I'm studying hard every day, so why is the learning curve appear to be heading downwards?

The backslash works for me:
Code:
alert("\< symbol");

Use the HTML entity &lt;

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Ok Weirdsville, Does not work IE9 but no problem in Firefox. [ponder]

I'm studying hard every day, so why is the learning curve appear to be heading downwards?

[afro] yeah looks like the "&lt" is the way to go. Cheers Chris.

hmm, add one more strike against MoneySloth (aka MicroSoft) for failing to comply with YET ANOTHER standards mandate.....what's that put us up to now? I know it's in the high tens, to low hundreds, of thousands; at the VERY least. BTW, WHY is anyone still actually paying MONEY for their crap again?

I hope this helps;
robherc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back