Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using central tnsnames file on network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara8

Programmer
Nov 12, 2003
CA
I'm having a problem running an application when I try to use a central tnsnames file on a network drive. The application runs fine when I use the local tnsnames file. The error message I get when I try to log in to the application is "Automation Error -2147430328". The application is written in VB 6.0. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Have you tried connecting from SQL*PLUS or some other tool using your centralized TNSNAMES? ole automation errors are very hard to track, it may be possible you are having problems with the redirection and the application is just trying to tell you it was unable to connect.

Can you post your TNSNAMES also, so we can take a look at it. I assume you have used something like ifile=<the path>, another possibility is the user connected has no access to the centralized TNSNAMES.

Yes I can connect to the desired database through another tool using the centralized tnsnames file. Here is the relevant part of the tnsnames file... looks okay to me...

Code:
NOTE: "DBNAME" used to represent database name, "HOSTNAME" used to represent host name

#DBNAME database
DBNAME =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = "HOSTNAME")(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = "DBNAME")
    )
  )

And I do have access to the centralized tnsnames file.

how are you referencing the cetnral tnsnames. some parts of oracle cant use unc's

we map a drive to x:\blah\tnsnames_master.ora

and in the local tnsnames.ora we have
ifile=x:\blah\tnsnames_master.ora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back