Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using CD drive from one computer as another computers CD drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonGuerra

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
CA
I am not sure how or if this can be done. I have two fully functional computers. One CD-R drive. I want to use the CD-R drive in computer A and have it also be the drive for computer B over a lan. I have Win2k on computer A and winXP pro on computer B. Thank you.

You can share the CD-R drive on its machine and then you will have access to it from the other machine (but it will just be a network share, not a CD drive on that machine).

You'll be able to read from the drive, but AFAIK, you can't burn to a remote drive.
I should try it...I'll post back with results in a minute.
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Share the drive, then map a network drive to the share :) [Thanks in advance|Hope I helped you]
Exodus300
[pc3]

go to Nero's website.
They have software especially for that purpose- burning CD's over a LAN.
-Hayden

Ghost will burn over a LAN as well, but that wasn't the question ;-)
Without purchasing any extra software, you can use it as a normal CD-ROM.
If you want to buy Nero or Ghost (depending on your application needs), then you CAN use it as a burner over the LAN. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back