Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using both drives in a PV132T LTO2 tape device

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgwisby

Technical User
Apr 13, 2005
US
I have several servers in a fiber attached SAN using a Dell PV132T LTO2 autoloader. I set up the slots as partitions for each server I am backing up and pointed the jobs to the associated partitions. It appears that the jobs all run but they wait for one job to finish before running the next job so it takes all night to finish all the backups. I would like for both drives to function during the backups so that more than one job is run at a time, but I want each job to use a particular tape in a particular partitioned slot. The devices show up as:
Robotic Libraries
-Dell 4
Dell 5
Dell 3
Then all partitions are listed as:
Dell 4 [slot 1]
Dell 4 [slot 2]
and so on.
Now it looks like Dell 4 is the Robotic Library and Dell 5 and 3 are the drives. If that is the case then pointing the jobs to Dell 4 [slot x] would all for each drive to be used at the same time for different jobs.
Can someone shed some light on how to accompish this task. I tried numerous ways of setting this up but have experienced issues where the job would grab a tape from a slot that was not designated for that particular job.
Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks
David

First you need the library expansion option licences and SSO license. Make sure under drive pools you have Dell 3/5 the drives in one pool, or drag both drive to each partition drive pool. I suspect it may only have one drive per partition and it not taking the advantage of both drive at the dame time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back