Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Backup Exec with Tape Drive that doesn't have a barcode reader 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingzope

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hopefully someone can assist me with this problem. Currently I have backups being performed from a HP tape library that has a bar code reader built into it. So naturally all the tapes used for backups are cataloged in Backup Exec.

I just purchased a single tape reader writer in a offsite that does not have a barcode reader built into it. Now I need to get the data off a tape using the single tape drive but backup exec just sees the tape as unknown.

Is their anyway to make backup exec recognize it or just allow me to browse the data? Any help would be appreciated.

The tape drive is a single Quantum SDLT1 drive. So there is only one tape at a time in it. I tried to catalogue the tape and the error comes up saying "Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier". In Backup Exec the media label shows up as "<Unknown Media>". I assume this is because the tape drive doesn't have a barcode reader.

The other library with the barcode reader has all the tapes catalogued. I just need the single tape drive to read that data on one of the tapes backed up from the tape library.

There being no barcode reader shouldn't be causing this problem, it dosen't affect the data on the tape. Can't tell from the error what this could be though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back