Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using another workstation as a PseudoServer for the back-end 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny64

Technical User
May 1, 2001
CA
Hi all,

My application (front-end) is currently residing on individual workstations in a LAN. The back-end is on the server. We are currently experiencing way too much data corruption on the Unix Server. Apparently (I've been told by out tech people) MS Access and Unix dont mix well.

As a solution someone suggested I try using another workstation on the LAN as a pseudo server to house the back-end. We are running on Windows NT 4.0. I was able to map to the workstation IP address (without a drive letter). Now my problem is linking the tables to the back-end on the workstation IP address when the application starts up.

Does anybody know how I could do this through code. It was such a great idea in my head, but in practice I just cannot make it happen.

I hope someone can help.

Manny

Can't you use \\ComputerName\ShareName instead? Why do you have to use an IP address?

Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

You are absolutely right, Joe. I just learned how I could set the Share Name for a directory. Thank you very much.

Manny64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back