Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using an external hard drive as primary drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

at51178

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hey guys

I am planning on buying an external harddrive but I would like to know if I could use my external harddrive as my primary harddrive.

If the hard drive is viewed as removable, and it likely will be, it cannot be used as the primary active drive for the installation of the Operating System.

Depends, as bcastner say if it were a removable drive i.e. a hdd on a removable hdd rack then yes. An external SCSI drive - yes.

You only have to tell the BIOS the boot device priority, then everything will be fine. If your BIOS supports boot from a USB device then an external USB HDD might work, not sure about this though coz i haven't much success over the endeavor.
Here at work, I have the system drive of one of my file servers on a removable HDD, which I also configured the unit to boot via an external SCSI HDD in the event that the system drive fails. Could have used raid but I had an extra SCSI card lying on my shelf so I just plugged it in and used that. Well I'm like that - use available resources first before buying something that's not on my inventory.

That's my take on the subject.

hi

Yes I happen to find a hard drive that enables me to boot even though it is external.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back