Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using an existing report as a base for a new report

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiggerMom

Programmer
Dec 13, 2000
CA
What are the quirks when I copy an existing report and name it as a different report so that I don't have to start from scratch? For example, I copied an existing report then added some tables to it but when I look at the report's SQL statement only the new tables are being recognized. I've tried verifying the report but that does not make the original tables get recognized. I am using Crystal 7. (The search engine on your site is down so I wasn't able to search on solutions to this question.)

TiggerMom

I have done similiar, i had a nice report that needed to be modified slighty in 5 other reports with just some simple table changes and additions, however, CR 8 aparantly does not like this because i was getting mad memory leak errors and such when i modified the copy's. that is the quirk i found, however i did not remove the existing tables before i copy'd so that may make a diffrence, even removing them after the fact on the copy there was something crystal wasn't showing or not removing because i was still left with a unusable copy that could not be modified in any way to resolve the memory leak error. i emailed seagate with no responce on it thus far

Not sure I follow.
Sounds like you can successfully add tables to an original report, but you can't add tables to a copy of the original?

Did you rename the file using "Save As" or did you rename it in Explorer. I would like to try to replicate your condition. I work with V8 quite a bit, but haven't run into this. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

Ken I copied it by right clicking it on my desktop and then i just hit paste onto my desktop and it showed Copy of ReportName, I had 3 tables on this particular report, I then only needed to take one table out and add another table, one was a present and the new "copy" was going to be the history table, i then went in and added all the fields that V8 removed because of the linking after i removed the table, and when i tried to run the report it took a very long time like it was locking up, then it gave me the memory errors. and i tried it time and time again so that i could keep my same format of my labels for my fields, and on all 3 diffrent copy's with the same basic circumstance they all had memory leeks,
i am using wind 2000 profesional and V8 with MS SQL 7.0

Are you sure that it is linked correctly to the history table?

If you create a new simple report using the same tables as the failing report does it work OK?

Is the result coming back from the History table so large that it is running out of memory? Ken Hamady

when i created the same new report "history" from scatch, just to make sure i copied the sql statements out of the Copied "bad" reports, and basically did it exactly the same to a tee, and it had no problems at all. the "history report" is only pulling up around 79 total records with a fairly small sql statement. when i put the sql in ms sql querry analyser, because as you said above i thought it was pulling out bogus information and causing my memory leak, it only pulled up the 79 records as well, so it would seem to me, "me thinking again" that though i removed the one table from the copied report, something hidden in the report perhaps was not removed causing it to act all funky.

I am stumped, but curious.

Can you successfully make the table changes to the original report or to a copy made via "Save As"?

Tiggermon,

The part that stumps me in your question is that you say the SQL statement doesn't show the original tables. Are you using any fields on the report from these tables? Are these tables linked to the new tables?

Ken Hamady

konad & TiggerMom: You say that you removed tables from your report but this gave you errors. How did you remove them? If you merely broke the links between the tables and made the table invisible through the Visual Linking expert this does NOT remove the table from the report.

To do that you need to select Database/Remove database - CR will check if you have any fields from the table in use - OK if merely on the layout or in formulas not OK if used in sorting or seelcting - before deleting the table from the list of active tables in the report David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

yes i went into the Database tab and remove database to take my links out, because i knew it would keep my current labels and remove my fields that i needed removed

Ken,

What I did was I opened the original report and did a
Save As and named my new report. Next I went into Visual Linking Expert and added some tables to the tables that already existed in the report. I added a grouping level to my report using one of the fields from my new table.
I then Verified the report. My report is using all the
original fields. When I Show SQL Query, I only see a
select of three fields from my new tables. I went back
into Visual Linking Expert and tried relinking the tables.
I then removed the new grouping level I created and then
Verified the report. Next I did Show SQL Query and the select was correct with all the right tables. I put back into the report the new grouping level I wanted and the report works fine now. Strange but true story by TiggerMom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back