Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using an alternative editor with VC++ 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouisCyphre

Programmer
Jun 14, 2005
US
Does anyone know if there is a way to get Visual C++ 6.0 to work with an alternative editor? When I double-click on file in the FileView tab, or on an error in the build tab, I'd like it to load the file or jump to the line in an external editor of my choice, etc.

Living in hope,
Greg.

--
Since light travels faster than sound, is that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Why would you want to use a different editor?

I use an add-on to VC++ called Visual Assit. See following link for details:

I have not found an editor that works as good as VC++ with the Visual Assist Add-On.

If you have an editor that works better, I would like to know about it.
The only other editor that comes close is "Source Insight 3".

If you have a difference preference for an editor, it's usually easier to build your code from your preferred editor.

As far as I know, VS 6.0 can't work of full value with external text editors (remember, for example, its close friendship with debugger, MSDN help and class browser).

VS text editor can emulate BRIEF and Epsilon editors (see VS Help), but what for?..

Of course, you may write/edit your sources in external editor then compile them in VS. I think it's uncomfortable context swithching, that's all...

The only time I use another editor is when there are CRLF problems or strange control characters in the code. Every so often, when we merge code using PVCS, we get a mix of lines just ending with LF and CRLF. The result is that breakpoints are all up the spout and if one of these LF lines terminates a comment, the next line can sometimes be missed out. On such things, the editor and compiler don't see eye to eye.

A simple solution to the above problem is open the source in VS, CTRL-A, CTRL-X. Open word, CTRL-V, CTRL-A, CTRL-X. Back to VS, CTRL-V. Works a treat - all the LFs are back to CRLF and breakpoints are back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back