Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using an Access Database in an Application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark01

Technical User
Jan 17, 2001
US
I was just wondering, I am programming in VB6, and was using an Access Database to store the data.

If I sell this application along with the Access Database, do the customers have to have Access Licenses to use my program, or are they OK since they are actually not using Microsoft Access to change info in the Database???

Thanks...

If you are developing on VB and only have the .MDB then you only need the ODBC driver.

If you are developing in Access then you need the FREE Access runtime.

License is only necessary if you put the FULL Access program on the customers.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Well maybe you miss understood me.. I'm not bundling Access with my app, I'm including an access database, just the .mdb file. No other microsoft files will be bundled, just the .mdb database.

Do they need a license to access the data from this database if they are using my App to access this data???

(They wont even need Microsoft Access to access this info, all they will need is my App)

Thanks

My last comment was for sleipnir214...

No, the clients will not need Access licenses if the only "access" to the .mdb files is through your VB developed app.

Just to clarify the difference between the retail Access product and the free runtime module. The difference is that design facilities do not exist in the free runtime module. This means that the database can only be used as implemented by the application.

Do you know of any link's that talk about that it's okay to include an access database in a vb developed app?

I believe all of you, it's just I need to have these references just incase.

Thanks

You have never had to have an Access license if you only distribute a .MDB (as far back as Access 1.0 -- still have my copy somewhere).

Chip H.

It is OK to share about a .mdb file with an application, just as you can share a .doc readme file with an application.
Because your app is the interface, there isn't even an need for run-time etc.

Actually you'll need the appropriate Jet engine and probably some more of MDAC. I believe a 32-bit Windows license conveys the rights to use Jet to the user, though an old enough version of Windows might need an MDAC/Jet update. These can be redistributed with your application through a setup package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back