Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using addusers.exe to import users to 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonb007

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
GB
I have addusers.exe from the NT4 resource kit and a users.txt file containing all the users from an NT4 server. I want to import these into a Windows 2003 server. I run the command addusers /c c:\users.txt.

The users fail to import - message "password too short" is displayed. I have edited the Default Domain Policy to allow short passwords. I can manually create a user with password simply of 1234.

In the Default Domain Policy, I have set Minimum password length to 1 and password must meet complexity requirements to disabled.

Any help appreciated.

Have you gotten an answer to this? I have the same issue.

Just completely turn off any password requirments in the policys. Check the local policy, domain policy, and DC policy. Run a gpupdate.exe after or if you make any changes.

I've always had issues with the Addusers.vbs script. I've found the csvde utility works much better. Just do an export from AD first to get the syntax of your import file right and then populate it with your users. Good luck. Here is the link.

Don't import your users that way. Use the tools provided on your Windows 2003 CD. Look for ADMT. There is comprehensive knowledge Base information on for how to not only import your users but their passwords and your workstations too.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

You might want to take a look at the bottom of that KB a little closer. You will see that it does not apply to Windows 2003.

It may still work to a degree, but looks like it isn't supported.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back