Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using access with large dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerdigest

Programmer
Feb 10, 2009
TR
Have you experienced 20000 or more row in access without causing any problem in ASP programming?

Depends on what you want to do with the data.

Reading/Updating a db with that many rows can cause the script to slow down, writing data is not a big problem at all.

I do have a few clients who use Access (only because its cheaper than SQL) but always recommend switching to and making the investment to SQl when they hit 10,000+ records in their db. That's not a standard magic number by any means, just a number I picked.

When they hit 5000+ records, I start archiving old data into different tables or datbases.

--------
GOOGLE is a great resource to find answers to questions like "how do i..."

If you don't know exaclty what you want to do or what to search on, try Google Suggest: --------
I have recently been semi-converted to ensuring all my code (well most of it) works in both javascript and non-javasc

(only because its cheaper than SQL)

Unless you use SQL Express, which is free.

Personally, the only time I would use an Access database is if I had to distribute a desktop app to various customers that had no (or little) multi-user requirements. Installing access drivers is a lot simpler than install sql express.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back