Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Access as a Report Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandingdude

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me how to setup an ODBC connection and what Goldmine tables to connect to use Access as a Report Writer for GM. I want to use MS Access to pull data from Goldmine to run a report based off of the contact and contact history database. I have imported the tables into Access manually and the reports work great, but I want to have a one directional live connection so I can run the report without doing the manual import. If someone can please help me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

I use Access for all of my main reporting function to pull data from goldmine.

I am assuming you are using an SQL backend to GM... IF you are then create an file dsn file, thi sis done through the Administrative Tools in the control panel, then data sources (ODBC), and then link this to the appropriate database on your sql server. In access link to the ODBC databases, and that should work just fine,

If you are using a dbase backend then all you need to do is link to the dbase files... but before you create the links make sure that no on is on goldmine when you do this, as the link may fail

Do not forget that goldmine core table (i.e. CAL) in different table within SQL so you may have to create multiple DSN file.

An added note, that each user who require to use the reports will need these dsn file. I find the easiest way is to add a script to their login script to copy these file from a central location to the folder on their computer.

Hope this helps.... any issues then post back..

M8KWR

Thanks for all your help. I am having some issues. Any suggestions on linking the tables. I keep getting an error saying some user and some unknown computer is connected to the database. Any advice?

M8KWR

I am having some problems and need some assistance. I don't have a SQL backend. We have the Goldmine database files on a file server. I am trying to create the DSN File on a workstation where I have the MS Access Report Writer I created and I receive the following error:

You cannot use the ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external MS Jet or ISAM database table to your database.

Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Dave

If you are using a Dbase backend, then all you have to do is to link to the file you require in your Goldmine backend.

You need to make sure that all users are out of Goldmine before you create the links, but this also depends on the version of access you are using.

I use A97, which does not require people to be out.

You do not need to create an ODBC link, you only use this method if you are using an SQL backend.

The linking method will work if the mapped drive to goldmine is the same on ever PC, and then you can distribute the Access file across your network.

If you need anymore assistance then please let me know.

I have been using Access for creating reports from GoldMine data for close to 10 years. I cannot stress enough the importance of extreme care when doing this. Be sure to never update GoldMine information while in Access -- one false move and you can shred the referential integrity of the tables.

As always, make sure you have a regular backup plan in place for your own peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back