Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Access 2007 and Outlook 2007 to collect data from 20,000 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertIngles

Technical User
Jan 20, 2011
CA
I posted this question in the VBA Visual Basic for Applications Forum ( but I am concerned that I should have posted it here. I know there is etiquette regarding double posting but couldn't find where I go to move or delete the other posting.

I am in the planning phase of designing a form distributed to 20,000+ users using Access/Outlook.

I have researched the use of "Create Email" but when I try to use it I get the message "Microsoft Office Outlook could not be started. Make sure Outlook is installed and properly set up on your computer".I have activated the collect data addin for Outlook but still get the error message.

I am doing the planning/testing phase on my personal PC which is not connected to a server (and can't be) but the project will utilize MS Exchange Server. I do have a company tablet but cannot VPN into the network to set up the test from home.

Q1. Is there any way to use Outlook 2007 from Access 2007 with my home PC or am I going to have to do all the planning/testing while connected to Exchange Server? Not desirable as I don't want to interfere with my other responsibilities during the day.

Q2. Users can use Outlook 2007 or OWA to open thier email messages - will this create challenges for display and/or functionality of the form? I have no control over whether they use Outlook or OWA to view their emails.

Q3. I will have to use HTML for the form as infopath is not included with the user's microsoft applications. Will I have problems with the form displaying/functioning properly if the recipient has not set their email options to display HTML?

Many thanks for your help

I figured out a solution and thought I would post it in case it is useful to others.

What I did was to attempt to send an email by clicking on the hyperlink in a table (feild property must be set as hyperlink). A window opened up in access asking if I wanted to allow outlook to make changes to access as it appears that microsoft does not recognize it's own certificates as being safe. I clicked on a link that read something like "Change How Outlook Deals with Unknown Certificates" or something to that effect. I changed the setting to the absolute lowest end of the security - in other works, don't worry about the validity of the certiificate. Pobably not the safest setting however when I re-booted and went back to my database and clicked on the collect data by email and it actually worked.

If anyone knows of a safer way to get outlook to work with access I would still appreciate suggestions.

Thanks and I hope this info might help others!

How are ya RobertIngles . . .

Your last post was for a single Email ... but 20,000! I'd check with the Service Provider about this as I doubt they'll appreciate that many Emails tieing up their servers. They have definite limits about such things. Let alone I'll bet your admins have limits set as far as the MS Exchange Server is concerned.

I hope I'm not interpreting this the wrong way.

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see faq219-2884 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Hey AceMan, as always, thanks for your concern and advice. 20,000 is the number however it's a 6 month project so we will be attacking it by department and set a daily limit. I also want a controlable limit in the case that we run into unforseen problems so that we will be able to go back to affected users in a timely manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back