Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a VPN and Internet on same Machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PattyQ

MIS
Mar 4, 2002
US
I am running WIN98SE ..and have a newly installed VPN on my machine. for access to the company network. When I use my dial up (via modem) for my ISP to access the Internet...my VPN disconnects....seems I can only run either the VPN or the INTERNET on this machine ..not both......IS there a way I can configure my machine ..or buy additonal hardware or software so I can run both my VPN and the INTERNET on the same machine?...any Help would be appreciated on this.
Thank you

Are you using a different ISP for internet access for the VPN? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Connecting to VPN and the Internet from the same PC normally does not work for security reasons (exposing the private network to the public internet), and rightfully so.
Connecting to both simultaneously can work in two ways if the admin has set either up:

Access to the Internet using the VPN tunnel through to your corporate firewall.
Split-tunneling.

I am either misunderstanding the post or I don't agree. Without an internet connection there is no VPN. With a broadband connection, you are "always on" and simply use the VPN connectoid to create the tunnel. The same is true with dial-up. You either dial-up first, then run your VPN, or in the VPN properties specify to automatically dial your ISP connection first. Maybe I simply misunderstood.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Ok ..I am probably the one confusing you. Yes..when I turn my office machine on in the morning ...all I have to do is click on my Connectoid and my network is up ...I am connected to that via a line from my NIC. But once I am on there (VPN)....I have NO ACCESS to anything on the Internet. What I suppose I am trying to say is ...I am sure there is a firewall preventing me from any websites....including browswers...and what I want is to also connect to the Internet via my external dial up modem with a regular ISP..in other words ..can I connect to the net that way and also have my VPN running on the same machine at the same time. (i suppose meaning two internet connections on the same machine) VPN being on the NIC ....and the NET being on the dial up modem! OR am i asking to much here and I am way off base ! on what I am doing

Yes,

If you have another internet connection then you can use that to browse the internet whilst on the vpn..

You are correct that there is probably a mechanism in place to stop you browsing over the same connection as the VPN, you would have to check to see if www, port 80,443 etc are all stopped. The tunnel would be created when you double click, do you run security sofware to authenticate you also? Im assuming you VPN to you work.

Cheers

Terry

I have a similiar problem., maybe someone can explain how to get around it? I have unrestricted access to the internet through my DSL connection, but when I log onto the VPN at work it restricts me form yahoo mail. surfcontrol!, first: it's my connection from home how are they controlling me?, Second: is there a way to over ride this? If using the vpn to work will stop me from access to my personal mail then I'll stop using the VPN. I only use it to have realtime updates on my work email.

Hi,

When you connect via your VPN(dependant on how your company uses it), the majority route all traffic from your interface via the vpn. This is for security as much as anything else.

So all your traffic is being directed to the gateway at work, for all intents and purposes then you are on your companys lan and subject to there control.

There is no real way around this unless you have access to your surfcontrol and firewalls at work :)

Cheers

Terry

I have an IDEA. Just an idea and may not be a solution.

(1) Right click Internet Explorer
(2) Choose Properties, you should get the properties dialog box
(3) Go to the "Connections" tab
(4) You should see your dialup connection there.
(5) Choose that as your browser connection.

I am not sure if this will work but worth a try.
Remember your settings so if it doesn't work you can put it back as it was.

-NOnoy

{ This user takes no responsibility in the comments posted. They are just comments }

The solution is to go to the properties of the network connection. choose tcp/ip in the properties choose advanced and the is a selection for using default gateway uncheck this box.

When you are connected to the vpn it is forcing unknown ip to resolve through the default. unchecking will allow it to use your isp connection instead.

You can use the route print command to view your routing by your pc when the vpn is connected. The assigned VPN IP should not be the first gateway. ex 0000 0000 192.168.1.5

The problem is that the VPN overwrites my gateway info, I'm using Win2000 pro. I also use DSL with a 4 port switch. I guess I am going to have to just kill the VPN and say screw it.

Late Post....(better late than never)

Schazz is right on target. The whole point of a vpn is to create a secure connection...an encrypted tunnel b/t your remote workstation and your companies LAN. Enabling access to the from your remote workstation - while engaged in a VPN session is what's known as "split tunneling", in essence creating one private tunnel and one public "tunnel"... this can create a hole in your companies firewall (in certain cases it may be possible for a hacker to "piggyback" into your companies private LAN via your open public connection). I would highly advise against trying to "find ways around" this security feature. Your best bet would be to contact your companies vpn admin, also read any acceptance agreements you may have recieved w/ the software . Split Tunneling may already be explicitly prohibited.

Tiash is correct in removing the gateway info from the VPN network settings.

If you run ipconfig /all once the VPN connection is established and the gateway still shows up then you need to get with your network admin.

If your network VPN is configured w/ W2K Routing and Remote access you need to have your admin remove the gateway entry on the NIC that handles the VPN. This is within network neighborhood properties on the VPN server. Remove the gateway information on the NIC running VPN. This is usually named Local Area Connection 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back