Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a variable in Order By clause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2000
US
Is it at all possible to use a variable in an Order By clause?&nbsp;&nbsp;I need a stored procedure that would select records in a table and order them by different columns depending on the @Orderby parameter passed.&nbsp;&nbsp;Obviously, the following syntax does not work:<br><br>Create Procedure sp_Test<br>@Orderby varchar(30)<br>As<br>Select *<br>From Test<br>Order by @Orderby<br><br>The only other option I've considered is using 'If' statements for each possible Order by.&nbsp;&nbsp;Anyone else have any ideas?<br>Thanks for you help.<br><br>

You can almost do exactly as you ask:<br><br>CREATE PROC sp_test<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;@Orderby VARCHAR(30)<br>AS<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DECLARE @CommandText VARCHAR(100)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;@CommandText = 'SELECT * FROM test ORDER BY ' + @Orderby<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;EXEC (@CommandText)<br><br><br>In this example you pass the order as a parameter.&nbsp;&nbsp;The sp then creates a string, including your parameter, and executes it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Simple eh?<br><br>Incidentally, @CommandText isn't a special variable or keyword - it's just the name of my variable.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back