Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using a scanner in Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohaakamai3

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2006
US
One of our stores is considering using a scanner with their Aloha version 6.5. I won't bore you with the details, but after hearing their explanation, I think it's going to be clunky solution that they'll end up abandoning within a week. If we do end up temporarily setting them up with one to try it out, that leaves me with a few questions.

1) I am assuming any modern scanner will work, but is there a non-NCR/Radiant model anyone can recommend?
2) Does it matter if it's usb or serial interface? (In the past I know serial was often a safer bet over USB in terms of less aggravation)
3) We don't need a hardware license to use it, correct? I was under the impression we add it the same way we add a printer.

Thanks in advance for info you can provide.

there is also a special bar code you need to scan so the usb interface will create a virtual comport for aloha either as opos or com. I have to find the bar code, when I do I will provide post unless someone beats me to it.

here is the link where I use on how to setup bar code scanners in Aloha. There is software that needs to be installed and a bar code that has to be scanned afterwards to create the virtual comport

The setup is the same for Aloha as Retail manager to get the scanner working

It goes step by step on what software to install on the FOH. In the back of house its easy once you know the correct com port

Ok, so my only follow up question is I see scanners on amazon for as low as $40. If I knew they were going to use it and keep, I wouldn't have a problem paying a couple of hundred bucks for a known working solution. So am I asking for trouble buying a cheaper one to try it out? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back